I’m working on making my blog a bit shinier and better for the new year. That means lots of wonkiness and new layouts and generally…
TUNE IN AND FIND OUT!
Seasonal! Kinda! Also appropriate considering there is a LOT of new stuff! Starting with dusting off the cobwebs on WordPress and getting everything shiny and updated for 2013.
So. Here are my big scary awesome projects for the new year:
- Big Scary Awesome Research Paper– I’m doing a research project! It’s about online learning and possibly my experiences with ds106! I need to have a proposal drafted in about a week and I don’t even have a proper thesis! This is where the “scary” part comes in! I will be flailing about it on a weekly basis RIGHT HERE!
- RossRoads 2013: The Tour – My cousin is working on a music and art label based out of DC called Foreign Substances and he’s planning a road trip this year to promote it. I’m going to be helping him manage the content he wants to distribute across various platforms, including (we think) WordPress, Twitter, Tumblr, and Soundcloud. The best part? I have no idea what I’m doing!
- Lewinsville Presbyterian Church online education – My home church is trying to sort out online Christian ed, and I’m going to lob some ideas at them to make their next class more effective than their first attempt. If they want me to, I might even be able to help them set up and manage the tools they could use to create a compelling online classroom. Exciting!
- New Twitter Handle – Since my old handle is tied pretty closely with a bunch of personal stuff and I want to start using Twitter as a way to forge professional connections, I’ve got to come up with a new Twitter account and shut down my old one. Suggestions welcome!
- New theme for Aetherbunny.com? – I like this theme, but it’s pretty cramped. I’ll be experimenting with new themes and widgets in my ongoing quest for BLOG PERFECTION.
My issue is, of course, that I always dream WAY way bigger than what I can realistically accomplish. To make all of this come together in a meaningful way, I’m going to need a LOT of help, especially with the research project…
… is what lies ahead.
“WHO IS THE STAR-BEARER,
AND WHAT WILL HE LOOSE THAT IS BOUND?”
In 1976, Patricia A. McKillip published a fantasy novel that became a quiet legend among those who read it and fell in love with the world she created. The Riddle-Master of Hed told the story of a man pulled inexorably away from his home and his family by a destiny spelled out in a riddle of three stars…
In which I look like a total dork for the sake of my final project. I definitely took my own spin on the Text + Diagram -> Into a Movie assignment, and instead of fining “a written explanation of a concept and a diagram that illustrates that concept,” I adapted the ideas of riddlery from McKillip’s work and illustrated it with an extended visual metaphor. Hopefully that counts!
Although I didn’t quite complete the Iconic You assignment in the more minimalist spirit it was perhaps supposed to reflect, I am still SO. DARN. PROUD. of the work I did here. This might actually be my favorite project from the whole semester. I’m SO HAPPY with the balance here, the way I was able to add a little texture to the piece, and how nicely the emboss effect emphasized the design of the stars.
For my ds106 assignments, I created a video assignment called Narrative Ambiance, the goal of which is to shoot some original video, then set it…